Calosoma of the World
Introducing the Website
The purpose of this website is to provide the amateur entomologists with an easy tool to study a group of beetles called Calosoma. The abundant available individual descriptions and partial revisions are not always easy to find and above all they lack an updated general revision, after that of Jeannel (1940) that dates back more than seventy years ago.
Starting out from that revision, which still represents a good reference due its general approach, subsequent works have been discussed, as to whether to accept their conclusions or not, on a case by case basis. As a matter of fact the present work is not a scientific revision in itself, but it only aims to provide criteria to allow the amateur to navigate among the species mentioned in the literature.
Where the descriptions have been accumulated to take into account the individual variability or the variability of populations, the new taxa mentioned in the literature are reported and discussed during the handling of the species to which most likely they can be referred, but not illustrated separately, in order not to complicate the discussion . Such a choice will not prevent to investigate the matter further for those who wish to do so. The bibliography in the Appendix may be directly used for the purpose. For each considered species or subspecies a photographic image is provided (additional images are given if required by the variability of individual or geographic variation). The images are accompanied by brief notes that describe the species; a longer note is provided when it is necessary to deepen its systematic position.
My favourite websites
- Image Gallery Carabidae of the World
- Type specimens at the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Type specimens at the California Academy of Sciences
- Type specimens at the Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Washington
- Type specimens at the National Museum of Natural History, Stockholm
- Scarabs of the Levant
- Scarabeidi of Italy
Reference texts available on internet
- Breuning S., (1927ª) "Monographie der Gattung Calosoma Web. (Carab.), I". Koleopterol. Rundsh., 13: 129-232
- Breuning S., (1928) "Monographie der Gattung Calosoma Web. (Carab.). III". Koleopterol. Rundsh., 14: 43-101
- International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (fourth edition)
- Erwin, T.L. (1991). The Ground-Beetles of Central America (Carabidae), Part II: Notiophilini, Loricerini, and Carabini. Smithsonian Contributions to Zoology, 501: iv + 30 pp.
- Gidaspow T., (1963). "The genus Calosoma in Central America, the Antilles and South America (Coleoptera, Carabidae)". Bull. Amer. Mus. Nat. Hist., 124 (7): 275-313.
- Mandl K. (1970), "Über Calosoma chlorostictum Dejean und Calosoma imbricatum Klug.", Koleopterol. Rundsh., 48, 57 - 66.
- Obydov D., A Review of the subgenus Chrysostigma Kirby, 1837 of the genus Calosoma Weber, 1801
- Obydov D., Detailed catalogue of ground beetles of the genus Callisthenes
References to Calosoma in local fauna websites